#CultureTrav Instagram: Featuring Your Photos
Travel has been an integral part of my life since I was a young child. I grew up in a multicultural, bilingual home in the Netherlands with a Polish mother and a Dutch father. My
A brief update: One interview video will be uploaded tomorrow evening. I believe the BBC News One-Minute World News provides well-balanced reporting of news, hence why I wanted to share it. Top stories on May
When you first meet Oluwagbeminiyi Osidipe, you encounter a very vibrant, friendly, and unique personality. Oluwagbeminiyi or Niyi – as she shortened her name for simplicity – was named by her mother, who had a “very personal experience” when she had her, Niyi explained. Niyi is a Yoruba Nigerian transplant who arrived in the U.S. in 2006. As one of the most densely populated (West) African countries, Nigeria derives its name from the river that spans its land. To the South, it borders the Gulf of Guinea to the Atlantic Ocean. Originally colonized by the British, Nigeria gained independence in 1960. Its main ethnic groups are the Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba, who speak English and their own respective languages, while major religions include Islam, Christianity and indigenous beliefs. Niyi shares her story, her views on politics, cultural differences she’s embraced with humor, and what we can learn from each other by expressing curiosity. Her message is simple: travel enriches us through its exposure to new cultures, and enables us to grow.
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime.” (American author Mark Twain, Innocents Abroad).
Have you had the opportunity to travel (extensively, within your country, or even once abroad)? Can you relate to Twain’s sentiments? How does travel enrich us?
Food has the wonderful quality of uniting us no matter where we are. There is nothing partisan or narrow-minded about food. It simply invites us to indulge, create recipes, and share with others. Two of my favorite Polish dishes (included in collage) are pierogies and barszcz czerwony – a beetroot soup – served on Christmas Eve in Poland. How does food bring us together? What are some of your favorite dishes and why? Can food trigger memories?
DEFINING STEREOTYPES: “An idea or statement about all of the members of a group or all the instances of a situation.” (Merriam-Webster). Stereotypes enable bias and preconceived notions to perpetuate, but can also reveal valid
“The world changed immeasurably over the course of 2011. Across the Middle East, North Africa, and far beyond, citizens stood up to demand respect for human dignity, more promising economic opportunities, greater political liberties, and
Brief Crisis Breakdown Since the onset of the global financial crisis, or Great Recession, in 2007, the Eurozone has feared impending growing global debt levels, as well as sovereign debt within European countries themselves. In
Today marks the 23rd anniversary of Tiananmen Square pro-democracy protests in Beijing, China. Inflation, a lack of career prospects, the fall of Eastern European communism, and political corruption, are all said to have fueled anger
A cup of coffee can bridge cultural gaps. At least, that’s what Gizem Salgicil White, founder of Turkayfe.org, believes. Her organization aims to create awareness of Turkish culture, particularly within America. Gizem is a Turkish native,
Do you love to share travel photos on social media – particularly on Instagram? Do you take photos of food, landscapes, or animals? We’d love to feature you on our Culture with Travel Instagram account!
As a community blog, we enjoy sharing your stories and would love to share yours on our Instagram page. We encourage you to share your photos using #CultureTrav and #culturetravstories, as well.
Sharing your Instagram photos via email:
When you share photos, be sure to include a description. What makes the photo interesting? What’s the story behind it? Where were you when the photo was taken? All of these details matter and will also help fellow travelers in planning to visit these destinations. If you have a special tip for another traveler, definitely include it!
- Send us a photo (or more) via email at email@example.com
- Share what your handle is
- Write a brief description of what’s happening in the photo.
What’s of interest for us on Instagram:
- Local culture. We’d like to share photos of how you immerse yourself in local culture. Do you photograph architecture, farmer’s markets, specialty restaurants or stores? Do you prefer to take portraits?
- Food. Where did you discover an interesting international dish? What was the most daring thing you’ve tried to eat while abroad? What food to do love to eat at home? Have you ever found a restaurant off-the-beaten path?
- Landscapes and/or the great outdoors. Do you enjoy landscape photography? Are you a hiker or like to go camping? Share a picture!
- Surprising places or spontaneous wandering. Some of the best discoveries can be made by spontaneous adventures. Where and when have you spontaneously found neat places? Share a photo!
- Festivals or concerts. Are you an avid concertgoer? Which festivals or concerts have you attended that you’d like to share about?
- Art and architecture. Where is the most striking architecture you’ve seen? Have you ever stumbled upon an unexpectedly neat building? Do you like to photograph abandoned buildings? Do you love street art, galleries or museums?
- Adventure photos – photos of you zip lining, biking, swimming, etc. Where was your favorite travel adventure?
- Animals. Do you like to photograph wildlife? Have you been on a safari? Share your best wildlife photos with us!
- Instagram takeovers. Are you traveling somewhere and want to take over our Instagram account and show others the destination? We’re open to having Instagram takeovers!
Quick Instagram Photo Guidelines:
- Play with light. Photos using natural lighting are preferred, though darker settings can have a wonderful effect on photography.
- Don’t be afraid of bold colors! Black and white photography is fine, too!
- Composition. We’re aiming to share photos that have a simple focus and don’t look cluttered.
If you don’t yet follow us on CultureTrav on Instagram, show us some love! We’ll follow back!
[wpforms id=”5822″ title=”false” description=”false”]